Friday, July 18, 2008

Saved the Kitty

You would have been proud of my Mama DiDi, my dear fans. While I stayed on the sidewalk and barked encouragement, she tried to cajole a marmalade kitten into coming down out of a tree at our Park. When she failed and walked away from the tree, the kitten set up the most piercing yowl for such a tiny one. It was only temporary. Mama DiDi called Daddy Moose, got the number of Animal Control and they promised to come right out.
Ah, yes, I thought -- and I have a large international red bridge I could sell you -- for a song.
I waited in the car. I had no intention of joining that little party, my dears, I assure you. But Animal Control did come right over, also a man who had seen the cat earlier dropped by to see if it had gotten down on its own yet.
Well, it was hilarious. The catchpole was too short, the net was too short and the ladder was too short. The man and the a.c. officer went to call for help and the cat must have thought the ladder made the ground look closer. The little Dickens landed on his feet and I watched Mama DiDi pick him up. Oh NO! (She says he was purring.)
I'm sure this story would have a much happier ending if I could tell you she brought the cat home and we are now living happily ever after, but I'm afraid we are too practical and realize that our dear Daddy Moose would never go along with it.
The a.c. officer believes it will find a home, maybe even with his own people, who might be looking for him. I suspect, however, that someone dumped him off.
Such is life in the suburbs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cats are really stupid. Like, REALLY stupid. I live with two cats, in the front yard, and I know what I'm talking about. You should meet these fat old dummies. Really.

If someone here doubts that idea, this story is a vivid illustration.

When was the last time you heard of when a Yorkie was up a tree (what would a dog be doing up a tree!!) or otherwise stranded and refused help?

A Yorkie would be down on the ground where he belonged, barking to bring his subordinates to heel.

Sausha, resist having your underlings bring a cat home under any pretext whatever. Cats eat up whatever is given them, lie around uselessly, and will give you a face full of claws if you so much as give them a sidewise look. Cats are good only to chase, for fun and for exercise.

Believe me, we've had cats for my entire life, and I know what I'm talking about.

Patricia Burke Johnson said...

I wouldn't mind having one of my own to chase, but I can assure you that there is no way in hell that any cat will be living under this roof as long as I am here.... woof
Actually I have enough exercise with the neighbors' cats that roam through here.

Anonymous said...

Awww... what a nice story... good Job!! I did something with your poppies...but then left AZ and forgot to put it on my flashdrive (darn) ... so in a few months...I will have it again.
Sherry

Unknown said...

Given that I have nothing but contempt for cats, still, people are monsters if they abandoned this baby, undefended, in the open. What is the matter with these mammals? Don't they have any good sense at all???